Tuesday 29 June 2010

Why are you a copper?

It's not a question that has the same significance, if you were to ask it of a  librarian, an accountant, a secretary, or a salesperson.  It's a question with special significance, with consequences outside of the normal realm of the workplace.

Was it to drive fast cars?
Fire a taser?
Ponce about in a uniform and feel self-important?

I've known officers who seemed to aim for each of those.  But ask one in a recorded interview, and "helping people" will always crop up somewhere.

I'm not blowing my own trumpet here - I joined because it looked like an interesting job with better conditions on a higher salary  than I had before.

And yet...  that "helping people" part of the job description hastened my hand when filling in the application form.  I still tell people that's a large part of the attraction of the job, and it is.  I feel disappointed if I go home at the end of a shift and I don't have a feeling of having helped someone.

I rather feel that that feeling is the closest I ever come to the satisfaction of being a real copper.

And yet... 

I put out the scared little old lady who's barricaded herself inside her house, and no-one offers up.

I put out the rogue trader who's promised to return to his victim at a certain time to collect the rest of his paycheque for doing the square root of fuck all and no-one offers up.

I put out the 12 year old boy, too scared to walk past the bigger boys to get home and hiding in the bushes in the park and no-one offers up.

I put out the stolen Mercedes SLK passing from a neighbouring force into our our area and you all drop your paperwork and leap into your poxy diesel Astras, hoping for an exciting pursuit.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

I hope to join, one day, and I will never ever forget this.

No comments:

Post a Comment