Saturday 6 August 2011

Sat Nav dependence

I know, I know, I know.  There are a thousand blog posts and stupid Daily Mail stories about idiotic sat nav use.  But I just have to get this off my chest - bear with me.

Recently we had a job where the victim was from a couple of hundred miles away, and for reasons that I won't bore you with she had to come here to do something.  We wanted her to come to a police station, but she insisted on meeting officers at a motorway service station and going onwards in convoy because she didn't have her sat nav with her and wouldn't have been able to find it.

Seriously?  In any town the police station is a pretty good landmark: all you have to do is follow signs to the town centre then pick up signs to the police station or ask someone.  It's not hard.

Typing this up reminds me of a job from the winter when there was heavy snow.  We had a call from some lads who'd got themselves stuck on a country B road that hadn't been cleared.  When we finally got to them, they said they didn't know the area because they were visiting from London and just following their sat nav.  Did it not cross their minds that it might be more sensible to stick to the main roads when there's been heavy snow?

I have a sat nav and I love it, it's a really useful tool.  But it doesn't do all the thinking for me: I have to engage my brain when driving as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment