Thursday 28 April 2011

Same Old Same Old

I'm just home off an unusually Q night shift (still in work mode so I can't say the Q word) in which I've probably worked on less than a dozen jobs. 

On almost all of them, I knew what to expect before I'd even read the job, just from the location field which is the first I see of a new job sent to us from the call centre.

On the couple that I couldn't immediately predict from the location, I read the job and knew what we had from the name that appeared either as the informant or within the first few lines of free text.

I tend to move around areas a lot, and a couple of times I knew what was happening on other desks just from overhearing a couple of words those operators were giving out on their channels.

It's amazing how much of our work is generated by the same few individuals.

I know from friends in other "caring" professions that any ambulance controller/A&E doctor/mental health professional/social worker would tell you exactly the same thing.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to drop a quick comment to say Hello!
    I've only just discovered your blog, and have read back through your posts so far, and I'm liking!

    Keep up the good work, the guys & girls in any emergency service control room can often be the unsung heroes, keeping the caller calm whilst help is dispatched, and managing the organised chaos that is the teams out on the streets.

    Here's looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete