Thursday 19 August 2010

Knowing the ground

As I've mentioned before, we're a small force with a small central control room.  We operators can therefore get moved around to different areas.

I've been working on a part of the force area that I don't know very well lately, and although I've slowly got to know it (and of course we have maps), there's just no substitute for knowing the ground.

Today I was back on my favourite patch, the area that I actually know, live in, and drive about in.  I know the landmarks, I know the local names for things, I know the wealthy areas and the dodgy areas.  More than once, I directed officers to certain locations from my own knowledge, not the map.

It was like slipping into fifth gear.  With a decent map and software that I know, I could, theoretically work anywhere in the country - but it's so much easier with local knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment