Tuesday 20 July 2010

Who Owns Stuff

Give me two seconds with the Police National Computer and I can tell you who owns most vehicles on the road, barring exceptions where the record has been lost (sometimes accidentally, usually deliberately).  Those cars are invariably being driven very quickly away from the scene of a ram raid.

All my cars have been cheap old bangers, as I'd rather spend my money on fun stuff than car loans, so I don't tend to think of cars as being very valuable items and yet tracking their ownership is easy.

The real headache is tracking down stuff I actually consider valuable.  This week I've spent what feels like an inordinate amount of time trying to find out who is responsible for: a private road, a piece of rural land, a large derelict building, a dog and two horses.  That's plus the small bits of property - bicycles, those electric thingies that old people get around on, lost bags...

I don't own a lot of stuff, but my valuable electrical items are marked, and my dog is microchipped.

Bring on the day that everything - and I do mean everything - wears a numberplate.

No comments:

Post a Comment